USDA TARGET Center Scooter Policy
The purpose of the TARGET scooter loan program is to provide an informal accommodation for USDA employees who have temporary mobility issues. USDA employees may borrow a TARGET scooter for a limited timeframe when they are faced with temporary mobility issues which include, but are not limited to, minor surgical procedures, accidents, injuries or illnesses that restrict their ability to move around the South complex. USDA employees with mobility issues of a more long-term nature should follow USDA reasonable accommodation guidelines for seeking long-term accommodations through their Disability Employment Program Manager (DEPM). The following is TARGET’s policy regarding scooter loans:
- Scooters loaned by USDA employees must be returned after four (4) weeks.
- TARGET scooters are to be used during normal business hours and shall remain in the complex overnight for charging and storage purposes. Scooters must be parked at Wing 1, Second Floor at the end of each work day.
- TARGET scooters are not to leave the Ag-South complex; they are equipment for indoor usage only.
- In the event that TARGET develops a waiting list for scooter loans, any scooter that is past due is subject to being reclaimed by TARGET personnel.
- In the event that TARGET is placed in a position of having to reclaim a scooter, the employee, their supervisor and their DEPM will be given a written (e-mail) 48-hour notice.
- Employees who have involuntarily had the TARGET scooter reclaimed are eligible to obtain another scooter loan, subject to the above policy. If there is a waiting list, they will be placed on the waiting list in chronological order, based on time and date of request.
- Scooter keys are the responsibility of the USDA employee that borrowed the scooter. Lost or stolen keys will be replaced with key-duplication charges billed to the employee.
- Routine repairs of TARGET scooters are TARGET’s responsibility.
- Misuse of TARGET scooters may result in loss of loan privileges and/or billing for scooter repairs.
- The functional organization within the borrower’s agency has the responsibility and legal liability to pay for the replacement of lost, stolen, damaged or unreturned scooters, keys, and or batteries and may replace the scooter within a reasonable time.